Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Yarn Diet!

Yesterday evening Amber let me buy two skeins of white, laceweight alpaca. Her Protector Against Bad Decisions badge is currently up for review.

Now that I've bought the yarn (which will be made into Hanami, and then dyed a colour that I don't have to be so paranoid about), and I have a $120 order of yarn and needles from Knitpicks languishing at the Fedex sortation center in Brooklyn Park (put it on a damn truck already, GAWD), and I have not one but two mismatching skeins of Malabrigo in my stash, I think it's about time to go on a yarn diet. In the interest of accountability I'm announcing it, and the terms now:

Whereas, I, Jumi, do acknowledge that I have enough yarn to keep me knitting for a good long time. And Whereas much of my stash is already allocated (in my head) to future projects, and I have enough future projects to keep me busy for a good long time. And Whereas buying more yarn to start new projects just distracts me and keeps me from getting anything done. The following terms are proposed:
  1. For at least the remainder of 2007, no more yarn is to be purchased.
  2. I am allowed to go to yarn stores and surf online, however I may only look at magazines, books, needles and notions.
  3. Because I am human, there are a few exceptions:
    • a. Yarn for approved gift projects that I don't already have a reasonable substitute for is allowed. Right now, the approved gift projects are: Pirate Argyle Slippers for Nerd 2, and mittens for my Raverly Mitten Exchange partner. New gift projects must be approved by a commitee of at least two (2) fightknitters, not including myself.
    • b. If I finish all of my projects in a given category, I may purchase yarn for another project in the same category (for example, when I finish the Tattoo Sweater, I may purchase yarn for another sweater).
    • c. If one of my current "crack" yarns is found on sale for 50% off or more, I may stock up. Crack yarns include (but are not limited to): Malabrigo Merino Worsted, Noro Kureyon or Silk Garden, anything made by SWTC.
    • d. As this diet is only for purchasing yarn, I am allowed to swap yarn in my stash for yarn in someone else's.
  4. On January 1st, 2008, I will evaluate my stash and my Finished Objects in Ravelry to determine if the diet can cease or should continue until the occasion of my 30th birthday.
So, do you think I can do it? I'm counting on you guys to keep me honest!

1 comment:

amber said...

I think that the riders you've placed on your pledge may actually make this yarn diet do able. It isn't like you aren't going to purchase yarn, it's just that you won't be buying yarn pets.